Laborer (South Shops) Full-time Job6 months ago - Allrounder - Chicago - 519 views
Performs various bus shop manual labor tasks.
- Performs various cleaning and janitorial duties such as sweeping, mopping, washing walls and windows, picking up trash, etc.
- Lifts and carries material, supplies, tools and delivers to various shop locations.
- Loads and unloads industrial material from trucks and other vehicles.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Required to perform the physical activities associated with this position.
- Must have strength in standing while sweeping, mopping and other janitorial duties, walking to and from buses, sweeping and sitting.
- Must have strength in lifting material weighing up to 50 pounds, (ex. garbage cans and bags, mop buckets, boxes, cleaning supplies, small bus parts, pushing brooms, mops, garbage dumpsters, bus engines and oil drums.
- Must be able to climb pit stairs, into buses, and balance when carrying lumber.
- Must be able to stoop when sweeping underneath bases, picking up trash, kneel to air up a bus and crouch when sweeping pits.
- Must be able to reach when washing windows and walls and to handle oil drums, mops, brooms and pails.
- Must be able to talk to communicate with co-worker and supervisor and hear approaching equipment or vehicles and announcements.
- Must be able to see near to check area for cleanliness, oil spills, hazards and far for watch for moving vehicles and recognize various markings on oil drums and fire exits.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must read and understand written and verbal position related instructions.
- Must possess knowledge of the physical layout of the bus shops.
- Environment depends upon location and internal job pick.
- Exposed to extreme cold working outside during winter months
- Exposed to extreme heat in certain areas in the summer months.
- Exposed to wet and/or humid conditions when working outside in the rain.
- Exposed to noise from bus engines, carpentry shop and vibration from body shop and machinery.
- Exposed to mechanical hazards when working near machinery, electrical hazards when working near electrical tools and equipment, burns when working near welding equipment, chemical hazards when working near cleaning solvents; waste materials, and height hazards when climbing ladders to retrieve parts from racks, washing walls and windows.
- Exposed to atmospheric conditions such as fumes from bus exhaust, paint, glue, smoke, vapor tank, odors from diesel, various chemicals in cleaning solvents, dust from bay area floors, bondo dust, brake shop air hose and gases when working near acetylene torches.
- Must obtain fort lift certification through CTA Training Department.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, AND MATERIALS UTILIZED
- Various material handling equipment, hand and power cleaning equipment, hand and power lawn and snow removal equipment.
Rate to be determined by applicant's entered service date and service date in union jurisdiction of this classification.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, unfavorable military discharge, disability or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws; except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists We are committed to providing an inclusive environment for our workforce and supporting the communities we serve. CTA will make reasonable accommodations for the known disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants for employment as well as its employees, unless undue hardship would result. If you require an accommodation in the application or hiring process, please contact email@example.com prior to the submission of your application or upon notification of your actual test date. CTA will work with you to determine if an accommodation can be provided.
TO BE CONSIDERED APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED IN THEIR ENTIRETY INCLUDING:
- UPLOADED RESUME / WORK HISTORY
- JOB ASSESSMENT QUESTIONS
INFORMATION PROVIDED MUST BE ACCURATE AND TRUTHFUL.
Primary Location: USA-Illinois-Chicago
Job: Bus Maintenance
Job Posting: Mar 15, 2019, 10:04:59 AM
Position Type: Full-time Permanent (FTP)